As a kid it is so very easy to get wrapped up in the whole materialistic part of Easter - the candy, new dress, toys, Easter basket, etc. But Easter isn't about the Easter bunny and about coloring eggs, finding plastic ones or getting huge baskets chuck full of plastic. It isn't about spending hundreds of dollars on junk. Easter is far more than that.Since I'm in the FPU classes right now, it has even opened my eyes wider than before about Easter. In the past my girls got a new Easter dress (around $20 each) and a Easter basket and plastic eggs (costing about $20 each again). So the hubby and I would spend around $80 on Easter. We also would go to Easter mass either on Saturday night or Sunday morning.
Not this year. Not since my FPU classes. This year was different.
The girls wore a dress they already have, saving me $40. Also when I went shopping for to fill there Easter baskets, I hit the Dollar Store and The Salvation Army. After the two stores, I spent total of $17! (That's less than $9 on each girl.) (Dollar Store $13 & Salvation Army $4) In addition, I had Good Friday off and the family went to mass and then on Saturday night Easter mass.
So this year we had a saving of $63 that will be going towards paying our bills off.
Will my kids feel deprived that I didn't spend normal $80? Did they throw a fit that I went to Salvation Army and didn't brand new stuff? Will their life be forever ruined?
No.
As you can see, they were extremely happy and have a wonderful Easter. =o)
The girls with their Easter baskets. =o)
He is risen eggs each girl received. =o)
Also I decided since the girls were not getting new Easter dresses that I would paint their nails to make Easter a little more special for them.
Cloie chick finger nails. =oD
Taylor's chick finger nails. =oD Her finger nails were bigger so some chicks had feet too.
Easter egg hunting at Grandma's house. =oD
I take the girls with me to my FPU classes since I don't have a sitter and Taylor has been listening in and picking some things up which is pretty neat. =o) She has told me that kids don't need toys for Easter and don't need tons of stuff. That's not what Easter is about. (She also had saved up her first baby step - an emercency fund! Very impressed with her and so proud!)
What a smart girl! Nope. That is NOT what Easter is about. Easter is about the sacrifice Jesus made for us sinners. He gave up his very life, unselfishly, so we could have a chance to go to heaven. And since then, we have been selfish training our kids to want the moon and back on Easter. How terrible is that?!
In our household this Easter season, we changed our priorities and refocus why we have this holiday.
From our family to yours, hope you had a wonderful Easter full of fun, smiles, good times with family and friends, thanking Jesus for everything (the reason for the Easter season). <3






1 comment:
that is so awesome to save I did that too when the kids were little... Shari
Post a Comment
I LOVE hearing from you!!!!!! =o)