Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Finding my goals again










I have been doing some serious thinking over the past few weeks about my current finances. At this point I am barely making enough money to pay my monthly bills on time. I have been asked: How long do I plan on being this financially tight? Am I going to be able to financially support my little family?

Both of those questions are very serious and great questions to think about. I want to be financially independent and be able to support my little family without relying any help. I also want to continue to pay my bills on time like I have ever since I started getting bills. I have never been late nor plan on ever being.

After reviewing my monthly budget again, probably crossing over to being coming obsessive about it, I keep coming back to 2 bills that are literally killing my budget: after school care & the student loan payment. Both combined add up to $650/month - almost another mortgage payment! Ouch! =o(

I have been doing the Dave Ramsey thing for over a year now and when my finances when upside down at the beginning of September, I felt like I had to start all over because there were assets frozen (for who knows how long......) creating financial problems. I didn't feel as financially secure as before. So I started over.

Baby Step #1: Emergency fund 

Thanks to all the generous support I have received over the past few months, I have saved up my emergency fund that is NOT frozen and readily available.

On to Baby Step #2: Pay off debt

This is where I got stumped. I want to pay off the student loan (my only debt besides the mortgage) so it doesn't continue to be a huge burden on me. It was a goal originally set at the beginning of 2014 before my life changed and became harder. It is a goal I truly want to keep and achieve in 2015. Research and time was given looking into getting the student loan reduced or forgiven but I didn't met the requirements for that. I could defer the payments for a year but the only thing that would do is increase what I owe by interest being added to the balance; in turn, hurting me more than helping me. The only think I came up with is it just needs to get paid off for good. I started paying on it in December 2012 and came to the two year mark where - yeah...... ;o/ ..... my payment was to gradually go up. So it went up to $300/month. Peachy great, huh?

Despite this set back, I started dreaming of how I could pay off $20,600 in 11 short months (Nov '15) so that I could have the student loan paid off in 3 years instead of the projected 10 years. Seemed like an impossible order to accomplish in a unreasonable amount of time right?

Time to use my accounting degree to good use.

As I mentioned before, I have assets that are frozen due to the divorce proceeding that has been taking place.......at turtle speed.....er more like snail speed. IF (I know a lot would be riding on this small 2 letter word.....) the divorce goes in my favor (fingers crossed they do), then I would take any assets I have been awarded and dump them directly on the student loan. This would be a HUGE help because the $20,600 is actually 3 loans totally that amount. If the assets I am hoping and praying are awarded to me and went directly onto the student loan, then it would pay off 2 of the 3 loans, cutting my monthly payment over half!!

But the frozen assets I am hoping for don't pay off the student loan entirely. It is a tremendous help, but I still need a plan for the rest of it. Don't worry, I keep crunching numbers.

If I continued on making the same $300 monthly payments that would continue to pay the loan down with most of it going to principle. This too though, still leaves a balance left which I have a few ideas of how I could cover it.

A) Tax refund money which use to go towards the property payment which I now don't have, yet I have no clue what I would be getting back with the changes that have happened in the past few months.

B) Any proceeding from a HUGE garage sale is planned in May, downsizing all my stuff.

C) Promote the crap out of my photography business.

D) Something else that I haven't figured out yet. ;o)


Worse case scenario, the divorce proceeding don't go as well as I hoped (won't surprise me with my luck the past 4 months...) and I don't get the assets I hoped for; thus, I don't have the student loan paid off by Nov 2015. That doesn't mean I'm not going to give it my all, penny-pinch every chance I get, put every last penny onto that stupid loan to get as close as I can to paying it off by my planned deadline.

I have my goal and I have a written plan on how I would like to get there. Yes, there will be bumps in the road along the way that I will have to figure out when the time comes, but I have my map to keep me on my course to finish Baby Step #2 of paying off my debt. Then I can move on to Baby Step #3! That will be a great feeling when I get there! =oD

Until then, it's time for me to stay focused on getting financially secure again so my little family can be protected and able to stand on our own feet.












No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from you!!!!!! =o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My PEEPS! =o)