I’m still flabbergasted that a certain song or reading something familiar flashes a memory in your head, crystal clear, as if it just happened yesterday.
I just want to burst out laughing because of it but can’t - don’t want my co-workers to think I’m more nuts than I already am, since I’m at work, taking a 5 minute break.
Oh a LONG LONG time ago….. Back in high school actually I started writing a novel. Then in 2007 I start writing again, tweaked it a little and added to it. I then got busy with going back to school and having my second daughter.
I have now decided to get my writing mojo back and slowly re-read what I have so far, editing it for spelling and grammar errors, and adding minor details throughout the story. As I come to different parts of the story, I just crack up laughing, remembering writing it for the first time and how the select few people who have read it reacted to it. I could throw out one liners and I’m sure they would still remember, just like I do, and I still have and would laugh just as hard as I did the first time.
The story has some very unique characters and writing this story so far has been quite a rewarding and fun experience that I look forward to finishing. One of my life long goals is to finish the novel – to finish at least one novel and to have it published would be the cherry on top!
It has literally been years since the last time I wrote and I have no clue where to begin from where the story left off. Thus I decided to start from the beginning of the novel. Doing this has made me feel amazed that, yes, I actually wrote this, and has got me itching to get the next chance to add to it.
Currently, I am on page 82 page (47,740 words!) with quite a bite to go, but that’s okay. I’m ready for the journey these crazy characters take me.
XoD Happy Friday! Hope you enjoy reading below!
*** Sneak peek! ***
I can’t hold it any longer and had to share. LOL (Currently the novel doesn't have a title but that’s okay at the moment.)
“
There was barely a hint of sunlight and it was all the guys needed to start the day heading to the lake. Pulling up to the public loading dock on the lake with their 14 foot aluminum boat, they paused in Brian’s glossy black Ford 150 extended cab pickup truck to take in the beauty of the lake. The intense blue water was calm with only the occasional ripples in spots. Along the edge of the shore was lined with maples, oaks, and white pines, in no patricidal order – mature trees to sampling to dead trees all mixed into a deep forest barrier. Every so often there was the seasonal cottage, breaking up the tree line and a handful of regular year round homeowners sprinkled in between – but all in all, the lake’s edge was left natural and rugged for the fishermen to take pleasure in the beauty as they waited for the fish to bite.
Stepping out of the truck to launch the boat, the only sound that filled their ears was the morning breeze that blow through the tall trees making the leaves rustle. A couple of male mallard ducks hastily took off from the lake when the boat hit the water, hooking, warning all the other creatures that the humans have arrived.
Jackson had a pair of baggy old faded jeans on along with a breezy sky blue and yellow pin-striped short sleeve shirt. His short black hair was covered with his favorite black baseball cap and his eyes were shaded by his grey sunglasses, covering his warm brown eyes from the intense sun that he knew would come shortly. On his feet he had sandals on since he was assuming that he would get the chance to put his feet in the cool water later in the day. Brian was also in jeans but his had holes in the knees from working on cars and other odds and end jobs he pick up now and then. The jeans were paired with an old Miller Lite t-shirt sandals and his wave hair was left nature, a slight wave in it. Nick didn’t go fishing since he didn’t really have the patience but thought he could at least have fun trying to dress like a fisherman. He was dressed in a wine colored short sleeve shirt that had little fish and fishing lure pattern all over with a pair of cargo khaki shorts all bought at The Bass Pro Shop. Over his fishing shirt he wore a brown fishing man’s vest he also purchased the night before covered with assorted pockets full with different lures attached to it. He didn’t know what none of it was on and in all of the 14 pockets but he was well prepared and was pleased with himself looking like one of the guys you would find on a fishing show he watched a couple days before to figure out how to dress. On top of his city boy bleached hair was a mossy green fishing hat to top off the look. Brian and Jackson looked at Nick one last time before shaking their heads and heading to the boat. “What?” Nick asked sarcastically.
“Do you actually think looking like that will help you catch fish?” Brian asked as he held the boat close to the dock while Jackson emptied out the back of the truck with all their equipment.
“Why not? The guys at the Bass Pro Shop hooked me up with everything I need.” Nick stated very confidently.
“I think they got you for all you’re worth.” Jackson commented carrying the fishing poles to the boat
It didn’t take the guys long to get the dingy boat loaded up with bait, tackle, fishing poles, cooler of beer and subs, a small radio, and three chairs to sit in style. Once they fired up the 10 horse power motor they were off on their mission to catch some fish, preferably blue gills or perch but any fish would do for them since they had their camera ready to take pictures of their trophies to show off to their women later.
The fish began to bite right away in a spot on the west side of the lake where there was a nice drop off by a good section of dense woods. It was around noon when the guys decided to munch on the subs a take a thirty minute break from fishing to chat a little as they ate.
“So Jackson, having some trouble on reeling in the last fish, didn’t you?” Brian teased before taking a colossal bite of his ham and cheese sub.
“Leave him alone,” Nick stated in Jackson’s defense, “he’s having a little crisis right now.”
Jackson looked at Nick through his sunglasses and stated firmly, “I am not having a little crisis.” After pausing, he barked back, “What’s up with you and Mary?”
“Huh?” Nick was baffled and sat his sub down on his lab briefly and asked back, “Mary?”
Jackson couldn’t believe what he just heard. Maybe the heat was beginning to get to him or the fact that he didn’t even catch a fish yet; maybe that was bothering him. “You know, Mary, your girlfriend? You are going out with her ain’t you?” Jackson chuckled in disbelieve of his friend’s lack of common sense.
“Oh yeah her.” Nick picked his sub back up and took another bite of his sub, devouring it.
After a moment of waiting for Nick to answer his question, Jackson turned his head slightly to the right with attitude before asking, “Dude? Do you even like the chick?”
“No.” With that candidly declared, the other two were almost knocked off their chairs with astonishment with what just came out of their friend’s mouth. On the whole trip to the lake Nick won’t shut up about Mary and now he admitted that he no longer liked her yet alone barely recognized her as his girlfriend.
“No?!” Brian interrogated Nick, hoping for Mary’s sake he was having a blonde moment and all the chemicals he used to bleach his hair were finally getting to him.
“ No, I don’t like her anymore.” He confirmed his answer dryly before licking his lips after swallowing the last bit of his sub. “Tasty sub!”
Jackson and Brian were still flabbergasted, mouths open. Brian sarcastically commented under his breath, “This is going to make one interesting dinner tonight.”
...”
No comments:
Post a Comment
I LOVE hearing from you!!!!!! =o)